WHY AND WHEN TO FEED AN ELECTROLYTE
The summer season is here and competitions are in full swing. Although many of us are looking forward to warmer weather this is not always the same for our equine friends.
Knowing why and when to feed electrolytes is crucial to help your horse to stay in tip top condition and enjoy the summer months.
Getting a sweat on, the facts:
- Horses sweat to lose heat
- The warmer it is the more they must sweat to maintain their body temperature
- In hot conditions 10-15 litres of sweat can be lost per hour – equivalent to a full bucket of water!
- Sweat also contains electrolytes
- Equine sweat is more concentrated than blood, so a sweating horse loses proportionately more electrolytes than water
- This means that sweating horses can lose massive amounts of both water and electrolytes
- Electrolytes are crucial to making a horse feel thirsty.
Download the print friendly guide for more information on the benefits of feeding an electrolyte, covering topics:
- Why feed an electrolyte supplement?
- What are the signs of dehydration?
- When to feed an electrolyte supplement?
- How to feed electrolytes?